Friday, January 7, 2011

Spurs Sign South African Defender Bongani Khumalo

Tottenham have completed the transfer of Bongani Khumalo from South African side Supersport United on a four-and-a-half year deal.

Khumalo had impressed at a trial for Spurs last July and impressed during the summer for World Cup hosts South Africa, scoring a goal in their 2-1 victory over a dismal France side.

Harry Redknapp has signed Khumalo on a four and a half year contract for a fee in the region of £1.5 million. Khumalo had been relatively successful back in home country South Africa for club level as he had won three consecutive titles for SuperSport United but the 23 year old is yearning for more triumph as he has now joined one of the top clubs in England.

Khumalo said:

“I’m looking to learn as fast as I can and do all I can to contribute to this wonderful team.

“All the players are very professional and very good, genuine guys and quality players. I’ve been very fortunate to just be a part of that and take in the experience so far.

“They’ve done so well this season and there are quality players all around. I just want to be part of the success.

“I want to win games here, I want to win titles – that’s what the game’s about. I’ve been fortunate to experience some success in my career back home lifting trophies and I would like to do the same here. The feeling is addictive.

“It’s a higher level, it’s not easy but I’m going to give it my best and contribute as best as I can to the team’s success.”

Khumalo could be seen as the defensive antidote for Harry's side as Ledley King, Johnathan Woodgate and William Gallas all currently hog the Spurs physio room. Khumalo is likely to feature tomorrow as Tottenham take on former Premier league rivals Charlton, a bout which should be easy pickings for Redknapp's men.

1 comment:

  1. One thing that I don't understand why Africa has great quality players but they haven't gotten the cup at least one.

    ReplyDelete